Lawn care - how does it work?
Lawn care - details
A real garden is not complete without a lush green lawn. Properly planted grass, given good care, makes a jewel of a garden. Some owners plan to seed a lawn as a decorative element; others want to provide a playground for their children.
The smooth, lush green color of healthy elastic greens is achieved at a density of up to hundreds of thousands of blades of grass per square meter.
A decorative lawn requires maintenance, regular mowing and proper watering during the summer. So to sow grass that turns into a velvety green carpet, it is important to choose the right variety.
Perfecto specifies several common types:
- “Agrostis stolonifera” and "Agrostis capillaris” will create a tight, beautiful, fast-growing lawn, with a color in the blue-green spectrum. "Agrostis capillaris” is a little wider at the stem and has a beautiful flowering spike that will increase the density of the lawn with regular mowing.
- "Festuca nigrescens” differs with its dense, small leafed growth, and so can be found in the majority of grass mixtures for ornamental lawns. This variety ensures an absolutely first-class quality of decorative lawn.
- "Festuca rubra” grows very slowly, but does not require special care. Space planted with these varieties quickly closes the gaps in the lawn, and this variety can be combined with other varieties of grass.
A home lawn should be able to withstand heavy loads, such as games and the frequent presence of people. Here are the fast-growing varieties required for this purpose.
- "Lolium perenne” is a strong-growing dark green grass; its stalks sprout quickly and produce new shoots in a short time.
- The variety "Poa pratensis" is very dense in growth and can be found in the majority of grass mixtures.
- "Festuca arundinacea” should be chosen if the garden is exposed to the sun and intense irrigation is not always possible, as this variety does not suffer from drought. The grass is coarse enough to recover quickly even after a barbecue or a child's birthday. Up to 75% "Festuca arundinacea” in the cereal mixture is ideal if a really durable lawn is required. "Festuca ovina” is also ideal for those who prefer a lawn which will not require special care in the future.
Sports lawns are planted mainly in sports facilities or in schools and kindergartens. Load requirements are higher than those of all other types of lawns. Weeds cannot grow between the shoots of grass. The stems should quickly straighten after intensive use and recover in a short time. Short leaves sprout from rhizomes to produce new shoots quickly. Glossy dark green leaves have a width of 3-5 mm and are slightly curved.
If you are sowing seeds for sports lawns, you need to purchase a special mixture, the composition of which can look like this:
- "Festuca rubra”- 10%
- "Lolium perenne" - 80%
- "Poa pratensis" - 10%
The Spanish Mediterranean climate is characterized by long summers with high temperatures in July and August. In some parts of Spain, winter temperatures drop below zero, which can destroy various species of flora.
Many plants are very sensitive to the salty sea breeze, and the risk of strong winds is always higher at the coast.
Due to the fact that the salt content in drinking water and in the air is higher than at the center of the continent, not every species of plant thrives in close proximity to the sea.
In order for the lawn to grow correctly in Spain, the grass needs a lot of fertilizer and water.
A strong St. Augustine grass (“Grama Americana”), with its flat and fairly rigid leaves, is often used. This lawn needs the sun for a few hours a day and must be watered frequently.
Drip irrigation systems with a timer are widespread in Spain and are required for a beautiful garden in the summer. Plastic hoses with holes are laid out in the garden and hidden under the gravel, grit or mulch.
Spanish gardening experts recommend watering the lawn more rarely but for a long time. This is because the roots grow deep and pull moisture, and if they are watered every day, there is a risk that the roots may rot.
Ideally, watering should be done early in the morning when the temperature is lowest, to ensure the maximum possible absorption of water. Time of watering should be about half an hour. Water penetrates deep into the soil and moistens the roots. Watering should not be excessive, because the roots must go deep, making the base of the grass hard enough to withstand a long dry period if irrigation is not to be done every day.
When lawn watering is done in the afternoon, drops of wateron the blades of grass not only quickly evaporate, but can also act as a magnifying glass and burn the surface of the grass. Watering in the evening is dangerous because it increases the risk of mold and pest infestation during the night, due to water on the plants failing to completely dry up.
Perfecto and a lawn care specialist will help you to understand the nuances of seasonal care and preserve the health of your lawn. But there are a few seasonal tips which should be followed between visits from the specialist to ensure that the lawn remains fresh.
Blades of the grass-cutting vehicle should be sharp. Sharp blades carefully cut the top of the grass, leaving the stem and root intact. Dull blades can tear the grass and damage the rest of the stem or pull out the root completely.This can impair the beauty of the lawn.
The scheme of mowing the lawn should be alternated every time, to prevent soil compaction by the wheels of the grass-cutting vehicle.
Let the lawn grass grow a bit longer. This will allow the roots to penetrate deeper, absorb water better and repel summer weeds. The use of herbicides and fertilizers should be reduced for the month prior to the really high temperatures.
Be careful with the lawn in the spring. Avoid trampling delicate grasses and lawns soaked by rain. Spring is a time of weeds, so plan herbicides during this season. Create a mowing plan depending on your type of grass.
Mow the grass low in the autumn and fertilize the lawn before the winter comes. During the winter, make sure that on the lawn there is no garbage, fallen branches, or anything that can stop the growth of grass. This will help to ensure a healthy lawn in early spring.